“The Sport program was phenomenal for our players. Especially our younger players who come to us with all kinds of ideas of who they should be. They ended their last session with critical reflective questions that they still ask themselves challenging themselves to be the men they aspire to be.”
Lawrence Scott, Director of Player Development at US Military Academy West Point Football
“We recognized an overwhelming need to change our culture within the fire service if we were ever going to help our members. And without a doubt, since running our first six BC First Responder Resiliency programs under the guidance of Dr. Shields and Dr. Kuhl from Blueprint, the change in the individual participants and in fire departments across BC has been and continues to be extremely positive. The immediate goal was to change the stigma associated with mental health and create a safe space to share our stories, take a knee and get the help when we need it. We firmly believe that the difference this program is making is significant; if we can be healthy and resilient at work, we can be healthy at home with our families!”
Gord Ditchburn, President, BC Firefighters Association
“Last year I attended the FireFighter Resiliency Retreat with other Chiefs. Powerful! Chiefs are typically decades into their careers with the same mental health challenges as their teams. Chiefs must take care of themselves to take care of others”
Fire Chief Participant
We convene impactful conversations that are captured in the media.
US Sports and Masculinity Design Sprint with 30 leading figures from college, pro and Olympic sports, 2018
Our action research and impactful conversations have entered the world stage.
- Informed Veterans Affairs Canada policy on veteran transition to civilian life
- Informed US Veterans Affairs policy on veteran transition to civilian life
- Informed North American Treaty Organization policy on veteran transition to civilian life
- Informed inclusive workplace policy at Heineken company
- Clinical Advisor, Canadian Mental Health Association Resilient Minds Program for Firefighters
- Clinical Advisors, BC Professional Firefighters Association Mental Health Task Force
- Advisory Panel Member, Veteran Peer Support scoping review team, National Centre of Excellence on PTSD
- Advisors to Tecate company on media campaign to stop gender based violence in Mexico
- Subject Matter Expert, Research Reference Group, National Centre of Excellence on PTSD
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of the Psychology of Men and Masculinity
- College of Peer Reviewers, Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research
- Partner and Advisor, BC Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions, developing accessible tips and tools for men beyond the usual outreach of information and to inform their public campaign on (broadly) reducing stigma and increasing mental health support for men.
- Honorary Firefighter Awards presented to Dr. Duncan Shields & Dr. David Kuhl by the BC Professional Firefighters Association
- Building Resilience: An evolutionary and cultural perspective.” Webinar with ASCN (New Zealand) a Not For Profit organisation in collaboration with Veterans Affairs New Zealand, the NZ Defence Force and the University of Otago, 2020
- Maintaining Resilience under Operational Load. Workplace Reintegration and Resilience Key Stakeholder Engagement. HiMARC, University of Alberta, 2019
- Police Officers’ Experience of Occupational Stress and Well-being: Co-Designing Preventative/Supportive Programming. Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Gatineau, QC, 2019
- Nurturing Healthy Masculinity: How Men Can be Better Forces for Good, Sustainable Brands Conference, Detroit, MI, 2019
- National Conference on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (Invited expert). PTSD Secretariat, Mental Health and Well-being Division, Public Health Agency of Canada. Ottawa,l 2019
- BC First Responder Resiliency Program, BC First Responders’ Mental Health Conference Richmond, BC, 2019
- ire Fighters Operational Stress and Resilience. Fire Fighters Western Educational Conference. Victoria, BC, 2018
- The Shaping Purpose Military to Civilian Life Transition Study and Program Evaluation. (Peer-reviewed, Competitive, Paper Presentation). Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Regina, SK, 2018
- Leveraging Masculine Strengths to Support First Responder Resilience. (Invited Plenary) The Male Psychology Conference. University College, London, 2018
- Design and Evaluation of a First-Responder Resiliency Pilot Program. Peer-reviewed, Competitive, Poster Presentation. Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Toronto, ON, 2017
- What We Know Cures; Who We Are Heals, Opening Plenary, Goodfellow Symposium, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2017
- PreHealth Care Provider Resilience: Discussions with Staff and Families under Stress, Canadian Critical Care Conference, Whistler, BC
- Team Relationships: Who are We? Goodfellow Symposium, University of Auckland, ,New Zealand, 2017
- From PTS to Resilience in Stoic Service Cultures, PTS17, Brisbane, Australia, 2017
- First Responder Well-Being: Understanding Fire Fighters Experience of Occupational Stress and Wellness, Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Toronto, ON, 2017
- Poster Presentation by D. Kuhl, K. Lutz, L. Hedden, M. Spillane, P. Pollock, S.L. Goldenbery, C.S. Hiligamo, On-going evaluation of Living With Prostate Cancer (LPC) Program, a group therapy intervention to alleviate psychological distress, Canadian Association of Psychosocial Oncology, Vancouver, BC, 2017
- Poster Presentation by D. Shields, D. Kuhl and T. Spiess, Design and Evaluation of a Firstresponder Resiliency Pilot Program, Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Toronto, ON, 2017
- Poster Presentation by Laramée, D. Kuhl, Burnout and suicidal ideation among UBC Family Practice residents, Family Medicine Forum, Toronto, ON, 2017
- Effective Group Therapy for Male Veterans with PTSD — Examining Therapeutic Engagement and Impact. American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Toronto, Ontario, 2015
- Mental Health and Well-Being of Military Veterans during Military to Civilian Transition: Review and Analysis of the Recent Literature. Keynote to Military to Civilian Transition (MCT) International Expert Summit. Co-hosted by the Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans & Military Families and the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research. Los Angeles. The summit included approximately 30 participants from Canada, US, UK, Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 2016.
- Effective Group Therapy for Males with Combat Stress University College London, UK, 2016
- Care for the Man in Transition, Canadian Urological Association, Vancouver, BC, 2016
- Silva e Silva, V., Hornby, L., Lotherington, K., Rochon, A., Silva, A., Pearson, H., MacNutt, L., Robertson, A., Werestiuk, K., Kuhl, D., John, P., Dhanani, S. and Sarti, A., Burnout, compassion fatigue and work-related stressors among organ donation and transplantation coordinators: A qualitative study. (Presently receiving final edits preceding submission to Intensive and Critical Nursing, 2020)
- Silva e Silva, V., Hornby, L., Lotherington, K., Rochon, A., Silva, A., Pearson, H., MacNutt, L., Robertson, A., Werestiuk, K., Kuhl, D., John, P., Dhanani, S. and Sarti, A., The Experiences and Perceptions of Team Cohesiveness and Communication among Organ and Tissue Donation Coordinators: An Exploratory Qualitative Study. (Presently receiving final edits preceding submission to Intensive and Critical Nursing, 2020)
- Kuhl, D., Lutz, K., Wu, E., Goldenberg, L. and Higano, C.S., An assessment of a group therapy program from Vancouver’s Prostate Cancer Supportive Care (PCSC) Program – Living with Prostate Cancer. (First draft of manuscript expected by the end of 2020.)
- Shields, D., Frender, J., and Kuhl, D., From Hero to Zero: Unintended Impacts on Military Enculturation in Transitional Experiences (Edits to first draft prior to submission to Journal of Military and Veteran Family Health, 2020)
- International Perspectives on the Psychology of Masculinity, The Male Psychology Conference. University College, London, 2018
- Shields, D., Kuhl, D., & Farina, S, (2018). Design and Evaluation of a First Responder Resiliency Program. Conference Abstracts: The 9th annual Military and Veteran Health Research Forum, Regina, SK, 2018
- Shields, D. M., Kuhl, D., & Westwood, M. J. (2017). Abject masculinity and the military: Articulating a fulcrum of struggle and change. Special Issue: Health Implications of Masculinity Within Military Populations. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 18(3), 215-225.
- Shields, D., Westwood, M. J., & Kuhl, D. (2018). Counseling Military Clients: Multicultural Competence, Challenges and Opportunities. In Lee, C., (Ed) Multicultural Issues in Counseling, Fifth Edition: New Approaches to Diversity. Sage Publications. (Invited).
- Shields, D., & Westwood, M.J. (2018). Counselling Male Military Personnel and Veterans: Addressing Challenges & Enhancing Engagement. In Barry J. (ed.), Working with Men. Palgrave Publishers.
- Shields, D; Frender, J. & Kuhl, D. (2018). We’re Still Here and We Still Matter: The Shaping Purpose Military to Civilian Transition Program Evaluation and Study. The Men’s Initiative at UBC Faculty of Medicine. Vancouver, BC.
- Thompson JM, Lockhart W, Roach MB, Atuel H, BélangerS, Black T, Castro CA, Cox D, Cooper A, de Boer C, Dentry S, Hamner K, Shields D, Truusa, TT. (2017). Veterans’ Identities and Well-being in Transition to Civilian Life – A Resource for Policy Analysts, Program Designers, Service Providers and Researchers. Report of the Veterans’ Identities Research Theme Working Group, Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research Forum 2016. Charlottetown PE: Research Directorate, Veterans Affairs Canada. Research Directorate Technical Report.
- Shields, D. Frender, J., & Garsch, A. (2017). The “Shaping Purpose” Program for Military Participants Transitioning from Military to Civilian Life. A CIPP Model Program Evaluation. Conference Abstracts: The 8th annual Military and Veteran Health Research Forum.
- Shields, D., Kuhl, D., & Vissers, D. (2017). First Responder Well-Being: Understanding Firefighters Experience of Occupational Stress and Wellness. Conference Abstracts: The 8th Annual Military and Veteran Health Research Forum.
- Shields, D., Kuhl, D., & Speiss, T. (2017). First Responder Resiliency Pilot Program. Conference Abstracts: The 8th annual Military and Veteran Health Research Forum.
- Shields, D. (2016). Military Masculinity, Movies and the DSM: Narratives of institutionally (en)gendered trauma. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, Vol 17(1), 64-73.
- Shields, D. (2016). Mental Health and Well-Being of Military Veterans during Military to Civilian Transition: review and analysis of recent literature. Conference Abstracts: The 7th annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Research Forum
- Shields DM, Kuhl D, Lutz K, Frender J, Baumann N, Lopresti P. (2016). Mental health and well-being of military Veterans during military to civilian transition: review and analysis of recent literature. Vancouver BC: Report prepared for Veterans Affairs Canada and the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research.
- Shields, D. (2015). Effective Group Therapy for Male Veterans With PTSD – Examining Therapeutic Engagement and Impact. Conference Abstracts. APA PsychExtra.
- Shields, D. (2015). Culturally Competent Practice for Veterans. Clinicians Corner. American Psychological Association, Clinicians Corner Feature for Remembrance Day